Tuesday, March 22, 2016

It's Alive! ALIVE!

My husband and I worked late last night, piecing together the puzzle that was our ceiling fan.  By the time we were finished, it appeared to be in working order and there was only one extra screw.  Considering how many screws hold that thing together, we felt pretty good about just one.  This morning, after a tasty breakfast, we reinstalled it.  First, we just connected the power source.  To our satisfaction, the light shined.  We were thrilled!  We reconnected the remote control system and jammed all of the cords back into the ceiling. When we turned the power back on, neither the light nor the fan worked.  This told us that our problem was actually two problems: the receiver and the factory wattage limiter were not working.  We had already removed the wattage limiter last night, so all we needed to do was remove the remote receiver, which was simple.  We did the work, reconnected the wires, turned on the power, and were overjoyed to see the light shining again!  It felt great to know that our perseverance had literally paid off and saved us the expense of a new fixture.

In celebration of our achievement, I wanted to take a break under the cool breeze of the fan.  I pulled the chain to start up the blades.  That's when things took a turn for the worse.  The fan would not turn.  We could hear the motor humming, but the fan would not move an inch.  What did we do?  Did we permanently damage the motor when we looked inside?  Did we put something back together incorrectly?  We knew it wasn't a power source issue because we could hear the motor trying to work.

Once again, we took this monster apart.  We took out every screw.  We took off every piece.  We made it back to the motor where we tried to understand how it moves.  After some contemplation, we decided to remove some screws from the top.  There are four spots for screws on the bottom of the motor and seven spots on the top of the motor.  When we had put it back together, we had put seven screws in the top, and hadn't noticed the holes for screws on the bottom.  Considering we had one extra screw, we decided to put four screws in the bottom and four screws equally distributed around the top, leaving three threaded holes without screws.  Once we did that, the motor spun with just a little force, so things were looking good!  I'm not sure why there are threaded spots for screws that don't actually require screws.  Confusing!  We rebuilt the fan again, hooked it back up to the power supply, turned the power back on, and rejoiced when we had both light and rotation!

I've left out some details, but I will tell you there was some additional partial building and taking apart and rebuilding in between the moment of total despair and celebration.  There were broken fingernails, pinched skin, bumped heads, and countless dropped screws.  When you don't document which screws come from where, there is a bit of error along the way  The next time we do something like this, I'll be taking pictures of each part and its corresponding components.

I was riding high on the success of our adventure and ready to wrap up this experience.  I removed the glass shades, the entire reason I was so determined to stick with this particular unit rather than purchase a different one, and walked to the kitchen to clean them with windex.  I carried all four at once while singing a song.  I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention, because one of the shades slipped out of my hand and shattered on the kitchen floor.  I could not believe it.  Given that this is a discontinued fan with a unique light kit that I've not seen anywhere else, I'm fairly certain that a replacement part is not in my future.  At this point, I'm not sure if I'll just go purchase 4 new glass shades or if I'll just get a new fan all together.  What I do know is that I'm a bit reluctant to start the next project on my to-do- list: install a ceiling fan in the guest bedroom.

Here is the perfect fan!  I've strategically placed the broken glass (clear part is broken, not the frosted) shade in the back so that it isn't visible from the doorway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment